part of speech: verb
inflections: burns, burning, burned, burnt
definition 1: to be in flames; be on fire.
- The forest burned for three days.
synonyms: blaze, flame
definition 2: to sting or hurt sharply.
- This bee sting burns.
synonyms: smart, sting
definition 3: to be cooked too much.
- The popcorn is burning.
definition 4: to receive too much sun on the skin.
- She burns easily in the sun.
definition 5: to be very hot.
- His face was burning with fever.
definition 6: to cause to be set on fire.
- He burned his trash in the backyard.
synonyms: ignite, set fire to
definition 7: to hurt or damage by too much heat.
- The pot burned my hand.
phrase: burn down
phrase: burn out
part of speech: noun
definition: an injury caused by heat.
- She got a burn from touching a hot pan.