part of speech: preposition
definition 1: in or at the back of; on the other side of.
- Who is standing behind this door?
definition 2: at a stage or position less advanced than.
- Joe and Andy are both good at social studies and English, but Joe is behind Andy in math.
definition 3: at a time later than.
- The second train arrived five minutes behind the first.
definition 4: supporting; backing.
- The people are behind the mayor’s plan to build more parking lots.
part of speech: adverb
definition 1: at or toward the back; in the rear.
- The dog trotted behind.
definition 2: in a place, time, or condition that has passed.
- I left my suitcase behind.
definition 3: slower than expected or required; not keeping to the usual or necessary schedule.
- I am behind in my work.
- She is behind in her rent.