part of speech: adverb
definition: at an earlier time; in the past.
- Sam thought he had read this book before.
part of speech: preposition
definition 1: in front of; ahead of.
- She stood before the door and knocked.
antonyms: after, past
definition 2: earlier than; previous to.
- Cinderella forgot to leave before midnight.
antonyms: after, past, since
definition 3: in the presence of; within view of.
- The students performed the play before their families.
part of speech: conjunction
definition 1: earlier than the time when.
- They planned their trip before they left.
definition 2: rather than.
- He would go hungry before he would eat worms and grubs.