part of speech: verb
inflections: beats, beating, beat, beaten
definition 1: to hit again and again.
- He beat the drum with his new drumsticks.
synonyms: club, flail, knock, pound
definition 2: to win against; defeat.
- Mai beat her brother at tennis.
synonyms: defeat, lick, whip
definition 3: to stir rapidly.
- Beat the eggs.
definition 4: to pound; thump.
- I was so scared that I could hear my heart beating.
synonyms: pound, pulse, throb
phrase: beat around the bush
part of speech: noun
definition 1: a hit or blow, often in a series.
- He gave the nail one last beat with his hammer.
synonyms: blow, hit, stroke
definition 2: a thump.
- The doctor listened carefully to the beat of my heart.
definition 3: musical rhythm.
- We danced to the beat of the music.
definition 4: a person’s regular route on the job.
- The policeman walked his beat every day.
part of speech: adjective
definition: (informal) very tired; exhausted.
- Kim was beat after skiing all day.
synonyms: exhausted, worn-out
derivation: beatable (adj.)