part of speech: verb
inflections: bears, bearing, bore, born, borne
definition 1: to carry.
- The servants will bear the gift to the king.
synonyms: bring, carry, convey
definition 2: to hold up or support.
- These beams bear the weight of tons of stone.
definition 3: to put up with; endure.
- Pip could not bear being poor.
synonyms: stand, take, tolerate, withstand
definition 4: to give birth to.
- She bore a son and named him after his father.
definition 5: to produce by growth.
- Apple trees bear fruit in the fall.
synonyms: produce, yield
definition 6: to have or accept as a duty.
- Who bears the blame for this?
synonyms: accept, assume
definition 7: to go in a certain direction; turn.
- Bear left at the traffic light.
phrase: bear up
phrase: bear with
part of speech: noun
inflections: bears, bear
definition: a large furry mammal with a short tail. Bears are omnivorous; they may eat plants, honey, insects, fish, and small mammals. There are several kinds of bears, including black bears, brown bears, grizzly bears, and polar bears.