part of speech: noun
definition 1: the part of the body of a human or animal that is on the opposite side from the chest and between the neck and hips.
definition 2: the backbone; spine.
- Straighten your back!
synonyms: backbone, spinal column, spine
definition 3: the opposite side from the front.
- She found the blanket in the back of the car.
- Put your name on the back of this paper.
synonyms: rear, reverse
antonyms: face, front
phrase: behind one’s back
phrase: turn one’s back on
part of speech: verb
inflections: backs, backing, backed
definition 1: to cause to move backward.
- He backed the car into the garage.
definition 2: to give support to; commit to helping.
- The governor hopes the President will back him in the next election.
phrase: back out of
part of speech: adjective
definition 1: in the rear part; behind the front part.
- The children rode in the back seat of the car.
definition 2: old; from the past.
- The library had the back issues of the newspaper I needed for my report.
phrase: back and forth
part of speech: adverb
definition 1: toward the direction that is opposite from forward; backward; away.
- The elephant moved back from the edge of the cliff.
definition 2: to an earlier time or a place where one was before.
- Think back to your childhood.
- He went back home.
definition 3: in return or in reply.
- Joe hit Bob, and Bob hit back.
- I didn’t call back.
derivation: backless (adj.)