part of speech: verb
inflections: awakes, awaking, awoke, awaked, awoken
definition 1: to wake from sleep.
- Please awake me in the morning before you go.
synonyms: arouse, awaken, get up, rouse, wake
definition 2: to cause to become aware of.
- He awoke my love of classical music.
part of speech: intransitive verb
definition: to come out of sleep; wake up.
- The baby awoke when the dog barked.
part of speech: adjective
definition 1: not sleeping.
- She is awake, so you don’t have to whisper.
antonyms: asleep, dormant
definition 2: very aware; alert.
- We are awake to the problems in the school cafeteria.