part of speech: verb
inflections: asks, asking, asked
definition 1: to put a question to.
- He asked me if I had any money.
synonyms: inquire of, query, question
definition 2: to make a request of.
- The teacher asked him to close the window.
definition 3: to make a request.
- I asked for the salt, but she gave me the sugar by mistake.
definition 4: to invite.
- She asked Ben to the movies.
definition 5: to seek an answer to; inquire.
- She asked about the new animals at the zoo.
derivation: asked (adj.)