part of speech: noun
definition 1: a reply.
- I want an answer to my question.
synonyms: reply, response
definition 2: an action in response.
- His answer was to walk out the door.
definition 3: the solution to a problem.
- Cats were often the answer to the problem of a mouse in the house.
- The answer for these dirty old walls is a new coat of paint.
part of speech: verb
inflections: answers, answering, answered
definition 1: to reply in words or with an action.
- Tina answered, but no one heard her.
definition 2: to be responsible to (someone).
- You’re not my boss; I don’t have to answer to you.
definition 3: to fit; agree with or match (usually followed by “to”).
- He answers to that description.
definition 4: to respond or reply to.
- Why won’t someone answer me?