part of speech: noun
definition 1: the length of time that a person or thing has existed.
- He said his age was twelve.
- What is the age of this building?
synonyms: life, lifetime
definition 2: a particular time or stage in life.
- He is at the age when children stop listening to their parents.
definition 3: the fact of being in the later years of one’s life.
- It is age that is making him forget things.
definition 4: a period of history.
- We live in the modern age.
synonyms: epoch, era, period
definition 5: a very long time.
- I waited for what seemed like an age.
synonyms: eon, eternity
part of speech: verb
inflections: ages, aging, aged
definition 1: to show the signs of old age.
- My grandfather has aged a lot since we last saw him.
definition 2: to become mature; ripen.
- Wine ages in these casks.
definition 3: to make or cause to grow old; mature.
- We age cheese before eating it.
- Her troubles have aged her.
synonyms: mature, ripen