part of speech: noun
definition 1: a formal speech or talk.
- Many people watched the president’s address on TV.
synonyms: lecture, speech, talk
definition 2: the place where one lives or a business is located. The address has the street name and number, city, and state or province.
- The address is 20 East Park Street, Washington, D.C.
definition 3: this information written or printed on things that are mailed.
- It is hard to read the address on this envelope.
part of speech: verb
inflections: addresses, addressing, addressed
definition 1: to speak or write to.
- When he said that, he was addressing me, not you.
- The mayor addressed the people of the town in a letter printed in the newspaper.
synonyms: speak to, talk to
definition 2: to give attention to; deal with.
- We addressed the problems right away.
synonyms: deal with
antonyms: ignore, shun
definition 3: to write information on, telling where something can be delivered.
- I addressed the letter to him in Paris.
derivation: addresser (n.)