part of speech: noun
definition 1: something that is done for a particular purpose.
- As president of the students, his first action was to bring back school dances.
synonyms: act, activity, deed, execution, labor, operation, practice, work
definition 2: (usually plural) way of acting or behaving.
- As a teacher, her actions are not acceptable.
synonyms: behavior, conduct
definition 3: a movement or series of movements.
- The language students are learning words for various actions such as jumping, waving, pointing, and skipping.
- Actions of the body combine with speech to communicate meaning.
definition 4: lively or intense activity.
- I like movies with a lot of action.
synonyms: activity, energy, excitement, force
definition 5: the manner of a mechanism’s moving or operating, or the mechanism itself.
- The action of the clock fascinated the little boy.
synonyms: functioning, mechanism, motion, movement, operation
definition 6: fighting that occurs during a war.
- The new soldiers saw action soon after they arrived.
synonyms: battle, combat, conflict, fighting
derivation: actionless (adj.)