part of speech: noun
definition 1: a thing that is done; deed.
- His act of bravery saved the child from drowning.
definition 2: the process of doing something.
- He caught the puppy in the act of stealing the hamburger.
action, operation, practice, process
definition 3: a behavior of pretending to be or to feel something that is not true.
- Her sadness was just an act.
fake, pose, show
definition 4: a short performance by a musician, comedian, or other entertainer.
- The magician worked hard to improve his act.
definition 5: one of the main parts of a play or opera.
- She sang a song in the third act of the play.
definition 6: a law.
- The senators passed an act against drunk driving.
law, resolution, ruling
phrase: clean up one’s act
phrase: get one’s act together
part of speech: verb
inflections: acts, acting, acted
definition 1: to do something with purpose or energy.
- He acted with great courage in battle.
definition 2: to be a performer in plays or movies; play a role.
- She acted in the school play.
definition 3: to pretend to be.
- He acted happy to see them.
phrase: act up